WIMBLEDON HORNETS F.C.
The earliest record of the Wimbledon Hornets Football Club is that published in ‘Bell’s Life in London’ on 4th November 1865, describing a match against Richmond Football Club. It was played on Saturday, 28th October 1865 and Richmond won by two goals.
The title of ‘Wimbledon Hornets’ was first adopted in the winter of 1868 but by 1874 the club changed its name to Wimbledon RFC. It has been suggested that they dispensed with the Hornets for a less whimsical name when L J Maton, who wrote the first laws of the game, became president of the Rugby Football Union.
WIMBLEDON HORNETS ceased to exist in 1874.
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER