CLAPHAM ROVERS F.C.
The Clapham Rovers were founded on 10th August, 1869, by W.E. Rawlinson and Robert Seymour Whalley.
The club boasted 110 members, and it was agreed from the outset that the club should play under both codes, ‘Association rules one week and Rugby the other’. The Rovers played on Clapham Common, 10 minutes walk from Clapham Road Station and the club colours were cerise and French grey in halves.
Clapham Rovers are the only rugby club to have won the FA Cup (1880).
The Clapham Rovers Association Football Club closed down at the onset of World War One and never re-formed.
CLAPHAM ROVERS disbanded in 1896.
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER